From the Monetizing Social session with Shannon Kinney & Bev Crandon from Dream Local Digital: Selling digital agency services is not the same as selling advertising. You are selling marketing. This requires a different skill set. Needs based selling is very important to the process. Sales reps must know what questions to ask and then they can recommend the right products. Needs based selling – you must ask the right questions:
- Who is your target audience (be very specific)
- Who is your ideal customer?
- What is your most profitable product or service?
- Who are your competitors?
- What distinguishes you from your competition?
- What is a typical sale for your business (in dollars)?
- What are key aspects of your story?
- What are your other marketing goals, needs, concerns?
Kinney recommends that you role-play with your sales reps in asking these questions. Make sure that they have passion for the customer's business and take interest in the responses.