Live from the Local Media Association Classified Multimedia Conference in Chicago
Keynote: Sold! On Classifieds.
By Al Cupo, vice president, Local Media Association
Presented by Kelly Wirges, ProMax Training & Consulting, Inc
Kelly Wirges of ProMax Training and Consulting brought the energy to the second day of the Classified Multimedia Conference program. Kelly’s 90-minute keynote presentation provided a step-by-step approach to providing excellent service while selling the right product mix for each customer’s specific needs.
1.) Create an incredible Customer Experience
Every call should deliver a 5 star experience. Be warm; be welcoming.
You are the company; you have more contact with customers than just about anyone else in the company.
‘Always remember: Customers are not an interruption of your work, they are your work. Slow down!’
2.) Deliberately Include Persuasive Communication
Being persuasive is critical. It’s not about being aggressive; it’s about doing the right thing for your advertiser.
Speak to the emotional side of each customer by focusing on the benefits of your product. Use testimonials to make a case for your publication and advertising products.
Features – a characteristic
Advantages – value of feature
Benefits - the real reason your product is important to your advertiser
Ask yourself: what does this prospect really want? Once you identify the answer(s) you can incorporate language that speaks to the client’s wants and needs.
3.) You Sell for the Advertiser
‘One of the greatest services you can provide in your sales role is to make copy suggestions to the advertiser which will assure maximum response to their ad.’
Needs analysis is crucial and happens very quickly in classifieds. Take a look at current ads and evaluate their effectiveness through a mini needs analysis. Are the ads compelling?
Don’t be afraid to ask your customers if they would like suggestions for making their ad copy more appealing/dynamic. Use your experience to guide advertisers and they will sell their items/products in less time.
Remember: Sell Results – NOT lines or words
- Use descriptive adjectives to create interest
- Include a call to action to increase buyers likelihood of responding to the ad…quicker
- Recommend ‘attention getters’ to create excitement
- Suggest multiple insertions. Items in classifieds have a very thin market. It may take several impressions before they sell
4.) Control the Call Flow
Create parameters for your salespeople:
- Answer the call and slow down. Listen carefully to the person on the other end of the line
- Gain billing information in a polite and positive way – explain why you are asking the questions
- Learn the details and understand their needs in placing an ad
- Provide recommendations. Focus on packages that are right for that customer
- Quote the investment. Be sure to state the reason why they are advertising while discussing the cost
- Determine the frequency – start and stop dates
- Review the details
- Provide further specifics