Live from the Local Media Association/Blinder Group/Florida Press Association Revenue Summit
By Nancy Lane, President, Local Media Association
The Power of Print
Gareth Charter talking with Thomas Byrd, President/COO, Independent Newsmedia Inc. after his presentation.
Charter kicked off the session with this announcement, "Two of our weeklies just published the largest billing issues in their history. The Landmark - $100,946 and Milbury-Sutton Chronicle - $18,013. Average issue for The Landmark is $20,000."
How did they do it?
Focused, fundamental execution:
- Early preparation
- Daily accountability
- Team atmosphere = common goal to beat record
- Sales contest with generous prizes
- Early bird discounts
- Discounts on full and half pages
- Early milestones for reps to hit
Make it an event:
- TMC subscription drive (they mail this issue to all HH’s in their market)
- Create buzz that this is an issue that you must be in
- More ambitious editorial
- Talk about these issues all year long
But it’s more than that… why does this work? Because community print WORKS.
Gareth showcased a series of advertiser testimonials focused on results from print ads. "We need to more proud about, shout about it – run the testimonials in the paper, put them on the desks of your employees."
Weekly community print is lean back/not forward. Be proud of what we do in print.